Friday, January 22, 2010

Just to prove I actually have a priority list...

Here is what I think our so called representatives should be working on right now:



Step 1: Compromise.  The country needs some healthcare reform and I have to think there are a few ideas out there that most would agree to.  That may be forcing everyone to buy it (like car insurance - get over it) so we can start pooling and increase availability, it may be to enable tort reform, electronic records standards, enable competition across state lines, etc.  I realize I just named multiple things that would offend both sides so it is probably a good idea!


Step 2: Balance the budget.  When was the last time anyone mentioned that?  If we don't have it, we shouldn't spend it.  Now I realize that some spending is critical (I am actually fine with the idea of the Stimulus program) but we haven't identified ANYTHING in the meantime to cut.  I'd suggest defense spending, Medicare/welfare reform, and farm subsidies, but I have to think there are other options.  From what I have seen of government employees here, a straight 20% target in every department would probably force them to get rid of many, many under performing people.



Step 3: Finish off some major foreign policy issues.  I think Obama's biggest accomplishment so far has been that he has gotten the US a little more respect (largely by changing the tone of our communications) but it is now time to really cash in on that respect and take care of the Iran/N. Korea nuclear issue and get a new nuclear treaty in place ASAP with Russia.  We have many, many domestic issues at home, but if we don't take care of these issues abroad they have the ability to become massive problems in the future.



Step 4: Energy independence.  No one likes to do it, but if we ever want to get off oil, it make take some governmental regulation to get us there.  Economically speaking, oil will remain the cost-effective way to go despite all the issues in the middle east, however, I strongly believe that many of these alternative energy options could be cost effective once we get down the experience curve - potentially less than oil if given the right level of investment.  Unfortunately, most of the energy companies do whipsaw invest/deinvest in alternative sources based on the price of oil.  Government regulation can make it more favorable for companies to take a long-term view and make these technologies more attractive in the short term (which is very controversial I realize) - but while accomplishing what we all want in the long term - affordable alternative sources.   Got a better idea?  I'd like to hear it.




No comments:

Post a Comment